Mina’s Lemon Chicken
- 500 g Chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- Oil for deep-frying
- Lettuce to garnish
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 egg white
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbs corn starch
Coating flour mix
- 100 g corn flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp honey
- 5 tsp sugar
- 200 ml water
- 2 Lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
Marinate the chicken
- Cut the chicken breast into boneless bite-size.
- Add salt, egg white, white pepper, sugar, Shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Coating the chicken for deep frying
- Combine corn flour, plain flour, baking powder and salt as flour mix
- Add the flour mix to the chicken pieces. Add more if it is insufficient to cover all the chicken. Any excess flour will fall off from the chicken.
- Shake off the excess flour. Deep fried in hot oil at 180°C/350°F for four minutes or when the color turns golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the oil. Drain the oil on a kitchen towel and set aside.
Making the lemon sauce
- Place the sugar, constarch and water in a small pot or saucepan. Remove it when the sugar is dissolved, the sauce thickens and turns translucent.
- Set aside until it returns to room temperature.
- Add the honey, lemon juice, lemon zest to the cornstarch mixture that has cool down to room temperature. Mix well.
- Place the chicken on a large piece of lettuce.
- Drizzle the sauce on the chicken. Garnish with roasted white sesame and cut scallion.