BEST Bao (clam) Buns
Clam buns are an excellent alternative to bread buns for sliders etc.
- 360 grams flour ( plus extra for dusting)
- 20 grams milk powder
- 4 grams baking powder
- 5 grams instant dry yeast
- 35 grams white sugar
- 35 grams oil (vegetable or canola),( plus extra for greasing the dough)
- 200 grams 200g warm water
- 14 to 16 pcs squares of baking paper (about 10x10cm)
- Place flour, milk powder, baking powder, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the vegetable oil and water.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquids.
- Stir with a spoon and then use your hands to knead until the dough comes together.
- Empty out onto a work surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth, adding extra flour a tablespoon at a time if the dough sticks to the palm of your hand.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover and rest in a warm place for 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once risen, transfer the dough to a work surface and dust with flour. ‘Punch down’ the dough by kneading it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to 1cm thick.
- Dip your fingers in vegetable oil and lightly spread the oil over the surface of the dough.
- Then use an 8cm diameter pastry cutter (or a plastic cup of the same diameter) to cut out rounds or cut the dough 16 pcs in same size then roll in rolling pin to flatten like oblong shape.
- Fold rounds in half and flatten slightly with the rolling pin.
- Place on a square of baking paper and place directly into a large bamboo steamer or onto a tray.
- Repeat with remaining dough (excess dough can be re-rolled and used).
- Cover the folded rounds and set aside to prove for 45 minutes or untill bigger size.
- Fill a wok one-third full with water and place over high heat.
- When the water is boiling, place the bamboo steamer over the wok and steam buns for 12 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat (don’t lift the lid) and allow the buns to rest over the hot water for 5 minutes.
- Buns can be made up to a day in advance and steamed to re-heat before serving or put in the freezer and take it out when you want it.
- You can serve this bao as a side or make sandwich! Enjoy!